Shannie Town USA

My Life

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veteran's Day The Meaning...



     The meaning of Veterans Day has changed for me these last few years; I have always had respect for our Veterans due to my Father. He would be sure to buy the pansies being sold by the various retired Veterans in front of the random stores. The sale of these small flowers is a way of raising money for different Veteran projects. No matter the donation the Veteran would hand you a red pansy.
     Pansies are known for their hardiness and ability to produce a flower of striking beauty even in harsh weather and adversity. The French word “pensee,” meaning thoughts, in particular the thoughts of loved ones. The myth grew that you could see a loved one in the face of the pansy.
     These days I see a Veteran in a different way, I am amazed at the extraordinary havoc the military placed upon them. I have heard many experiences’ told by WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam, OIF, OEF, DS, OND and So many other operations handed to our armed men and women. Each of these operations holds specific and Unique Health Risks. They Combined Penetrating, Blunt Trauma, and Burn Injuries. The Vietnam time gave way to chemicals we all know as Agent Orange.
     Our Veterans gave more than most, they still live the memories. The smell of dirt brings back the reminders of underground tunnels. The site of a random act like taking out the trash places a trigger of memories of the body bags. The smell of the pesticides at your local hardware store gives memories of Vietnam. So many basic actions we think nothing of are daily reminders of excruciating physical and mental pains.
     The Veteran just deals with it, by keeping to self. Drinking,drugs,anger issues, and commitment problems are just a few on-going battles that are continued. Most WWI, WWII and Korean War Vets never seem to open up, and a Vietnam Vets would never talk due to persecutions.   I personally remember a conversation between my Daddy and my oldest brother. My brother asked, “How did you handle the memories Dad? You never seem to have problems.” my Dad answered, “I drink a few beers and just try and think of the good things.”
     I have had the Honor and Pleasure of working for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at VA Montana and now for VA Salt Lake City. Being a nurse taking care of these Men and Women, well it has been an honor and I really enjoy the character and depth in their personality. I admire their true Hero mentality. I am blessed to have met many hear the truths and feel just a bit of the pain as they have attempted to open up. God Bless the Men and Women that fight for our rights. God Bless the real mark of heroism.
     So do me a favor, Next time you meet a Veteran Say, Thank you. Next time you hear a Mom say her son is in the military, Say, Thank you. Next time you look in the eye of a Veteran selling the red pansy give up a buck or two but be sure to say, Thank you for your service. May God bless our families who give their sons and daughters
Sincerely and with Great Honor,
Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment