Shannie Town USA

My Life

Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Only thing on my mind is Prostate Cancer

The Only thing on my mind is Prostate Cancer.
     Prostate cancer is cancer that starts in the prostate gland. The prostate is a small, walnut-sized structure that makes up part of a man's reproductive system. It wraps around the urethra, the tube that carries urine out of the body.
     I am so upset when I hear people say, well if your going to have a Cancer this is the one to have. So completely bullshit in my eyes.
 My husband and I are so happy these days we have our worries and concerns about life, but all in all we have this amazing fun sex life, we have an amazing bond with each other and share an enormous respect for each other. After all we have been through so much in the last 30 years.

     Imagine if some one came up to you and your best friend and said, " I know your only in your fifty's but I am handing you an expiration date, first the sexual aspect of your relationship will end soon. then we are knocking off 15 to 20 years of your life expectancy. Oh and that is pending on the success of the path you take in respect to treatment and the gifts and abilities of your surgeon, you may or may not have complications, of;
Difficulty controlling bowel movements and in some cases the use of a colostomy.
Difficulty controlling urine, and in some cases having a super pubic catheter placed indefinite
Infection, including in the surgical wound, lungs, bladder or kidney
Injury to the rectum, spasms in your bladder.
This also depends on co morbidness, Like... Diabetes and High Blood pressure, Both of which my husband has.
 Let me put this in perspective, What will you be doing in 15 years?
The relative 5-year survival rate is nearly 100%
The relative 10-year survival rate is 98%
The 15-year relative survival rate is 91%
Last Medical Review: 02/27/2012
Last Revised: 02/27/2012 studies from the American Cancer Society

My Hubby will undergo 
Robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy 
 1, The surgeon removes the prostate gland from the surrounding tissue. The seminal vesicles, two small fluid  sacs next to your prostate, are sometimes also removed.
2, The surgeon tries carefully not to damage nerves and blood vessels.
3, The surgeon reattaches the urethra to a part of the bladder called the bladder neck. The urethra is the tube that carries urine from the bladder out through the penis.
4, Many surgeons will also remove lymph nodes in the pelvis to check for cancer.
5, The surgeon may leave a drain, called a Jackson-Pratt drain, in your belly to drain extra fluids after surgery.
6, A tube or urinary catheter is left in your bladder to drain urine.

I am angry sad and mad all at once. I am also thankful and blessed. we have much to be thankful about, like insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment