Shannie Town USA

My Life

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Power to make a Choice is Coping

Coping, hum?
     I guess it is time to make decisions. This process is so hard, so much information out there. I know it is best to get your info from your doctor, but how do you know what to ask if you don't read everything you can get your hands on?
    In case you have not figured this out yet, my hubby and I are in this together. We want to make the most qualified guess. We want the Best of the Best. See we have a wonderful urologist, but he only does open prostatectomy. With the help of the nurse at  Dr.Grossmen's office, they sent us to Five Valleys Urology  in Missoula. Next we researched the office and Dr.Simmons. We searched him, from opinions of previous clients to malpractice situations. Dr.Simmons seems to be A number 1 on paper and referral.
    Of all the research we looked over the Da Vinci surgery system   this seems to be the best most accurate, at least we hope. Also Dr.G.R.Simmons is certified in the Da Vinci system.
 
     Now, you might think all is taken care of, the plan is in motion. The next step will be an appointment to the Dr. Simmons. And yes we have made the appointment called the insurance and the hospital to be sure they are on our PP list.
     But, due to the seriousness of this issue we continue to read. I was reading through the American Cancer Society  and I then came upon a page...

Study: Robotic Surgery Does Not Lessen Common Side Effects from Prostate Removal 

      So, what am I to do with this information? Do I show D, will this bring us back to the beginning after we found out? Will it confuse him giving him less optimistic outlook on an already confusing situation. or just show him?
     Well, I sent him the study, and he read it through and through, then he came upon another study that had him rethinking everything...

Study: Dutasteride Helps Men Undergoing Active Surveillance for Prostate Cancer

     I Don't know about you, but I am so confused. I can't imagine how D feels. All we do know is D is going to keep his appointment with Dr.Simmons and go over these studies with him.
    The Coping in my eyes is knowledge, and the only power D has with cancer is making his own choice. Thank God for the researchers, the men in the studies and their outcomes.
 
     The active part I play is the same part I have always played, Shannon, Shann, wife, best friend, Just all around partner in life. I would be no where else. I only want to be with him. We will get through this and move on to all the really cool things we have planned. I know from experience emotional health is the best support. Men that have a good support of family live longer than those who are divorced, widowed, or single.
     



No comments:

Post a Comment